Getting around by taxi
Getting around any city on taxi is not difficult, but you do have to know ahead of time that in Italy taxis cannot be flagged down as they pass you along the street! Taxis are instead "stationed" at special taxi parking stands in most of the major squares in any city and at the airport and they can be requested by phone. In Florence, the numbers for calling a taxi are: 055.4242 / 055.4390 / 055.4798 / 055.4499
Customers are advised to read the information about prices displayed inside the vehicle to make sure that the fare charged is correct.
Example of some basic charges and fares within the city boundaries:
- Preliminary fixed charge: € 3.20
- Night-time preliminary fixed charge (from 22.00 to 6.00): € 6.40
- Preliminary fixed charge on Sundays and public holidays: € 5.10
- Baggage supplement (max. 5 items): € 1.00 per item
- Florence Vespucci Airport to City centre: set fare of € 20.00 (plus baggage supplements + extra fee for night or holiday travel)
In addition to the above charges there is also the fare clocked up on the meter and other possible charges. For further information, visit the website of the Florence City Council where you'll also find other set fares for trips from the center to the hospitals.
Here are the offical rates as published by the main taxi companies in Florence:
So.Co.Ta. (055.4242) : http://www.socota.it/
If you are a woman out in the city center and have to get back to your hotel or apartment alone at night, take the taxi! Be safe and get a 10% discount off the fare if you travel alone between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. - the discount isn't automatic, so ASK FOR IT!
If you're interested in having a general idea of how much a taxi could cost for moving about FROM Florence, here's the costs offered as approximate from the So.Co.Ta. website:
To the airports:
- Pisa: € 140,00
- Bologna: € 180,00
- Roma Fiumicino: € 550,00
- Milano Linate: € 550.00
- Milano Malpensa: € 650,00
Some Destinations in Tuscany
- Pisa: € 150,00
- Montecatini Terme: € 90,00
- Siena: € 120,00
- Livorno: € 160,00
- Forte dei Marmi: € 180,00
- Arezzo: € 140,00
- Lucca: € 140,00
- Empoli: € 55,00
- Pistoia: € 65,00
- San Gimignano: € 90,00
- Volterra: € 150,00
- Piombino: € 300,00
From Florence to the Shopping Outlets
- Outlet Leccio "The Mall": € 65.00 (Roundtrip with 1 hr wait: € 120.00)
- Outlet Barberino "Mc Arthur Glen": € 65.00 (Roundtrip with 1 hr wait: € 120.00)
- Outlet Lavella Prada": € 110.00 (Roundtrip with 1 hr wait: € 160.00)
You might also like:
Did you find this article interesting? Share it!
Questions? The right place to ask is our Forum!
(questions posted on Comments below will no longer receive replies: so post on our Forum!)blog comments powered by Disqus