On Saturday, December 4, a new ordinance came into force that makes it obligatory to wear a mask outdoors in some areas of the city, during this Christmas period
From Saturday, December 4, between 10am and 10pm, you should know that if you’re in some streets outdoors you need to wear a mask! These are areas considered most at risk of gatherings by the city during this busy shopping period. The new ordinance is valid until the end of the year, on the busiest days when the greatest influx of people is expected for Christmas purchases.
The ordinance, in addition to the obligation of wearing a mask, also has created pedestrian one-way streets on the 3 days considered the busiest for Christmas shopping in via Calzaiuoli and via Calimala and also adds in four days in which cars cannot transit on via Gioberti.
Here are the details:
- from Saturday, December 4 to Sunday the 12th, from Friday 17th to Sunday 19th, from Thursday 23rd to Sunday 26th, Thursday 30 and Friday 31st, from 10a, to 10pm, it is mandatory to wear masks outdoors in the following areas:
- In the ‘Roman quadrilateral’ whose perimeter is formed by piazza Duomo – piazza S. Giovanni – via de Pecori – via dell’Agli – piazza Antinori – via Tornabuoni-piazza S. Trinità – L.no Acciaioli – via Por S. Maria – Ponte Vecchio – via Vacchereccia – piazza della Signoria – via de Gondi – via del Proconsolo
- Piazzale degli Uffizi
- Via dei Neri
- Piazza San Lorenzo and via Borgo San Lorenzo
- Piazza Santa Croce
- Via Gioberti
- Borgo La Croce, via Pietrapiana
- piazzale Oriana Fallaci with access from viale Strozzi and p.le Caduti dell’Egeo (the Garden of the Fortress where the Florence Ice Village is set up)
- San Donato shopping center.
- On December 18th, 19th and 24th from 2pm to 8pm, pedestrian flow will be regulated on a one-way single way with access and flow from mandatory points, in the following pedestrian areas:
- via dei Calzaiuoli (stretch between via de ‘Tosinghi and Porta Rossa) with pedestrian access from the Piazza Duomo end and exit from the Piazza della Signoria end. So if you want to go down Via Calzaiuoli, you need to arrive from Piazza Duomo.
- via Calimala (stretch between Porta Rossa and Piazza della Repubblica) with pedestrian access from Porta Rossa and exit on the Piazza della Repubblica end.
- On December 8, 12, 19 and 24 from 10am to 8pm, via Gioberti is pedestrian only and cars cannot transit.